6 Super Nutrient Dense Foods
August 6, 2014
How many of these do you consume on a daily basis?
1. GREENS. No matter how much dark leafy greens you consume, you could probably still eat more. In addition to some protein, greens contain calcium, folate, and a ton of antioxidants. As a BONUS, cruciferous green veggies like broccoli and kale also release compounds that are linked to lowering cancer risk.
2. ONIONS - The tear-jerkers are way more powerful than you may realize! They are superfoods with high concentrations of flavonoid antioxidants, such as quercetin, inflammation-fighters that also lower the risk of colon and other cancers. Onions also provide compounds that battle carcinogens and can suppress the growth of cancer cells.
3. MUSHROOMS - No matter which one you like the most, all edible mushrooms have inflammation fighting nutrients, mitigate DNA damage, and can block the production of estrogen in the body, which could lead to significant reductions in breast cancer risk.
4. BERRIES - Berries are one of the healthiest of all the fruits because of their powerful antioxidants, like flavonoids, and research has linked them a long list of health benefits such as increasing brain power, reduced blood pressure, and cancer prevention.
5. SEEDS - Always high in protein and trace minerals, seeds such as flax, chia, and hemp all have a ton of omega-3 fatty acids while sesame seeds are rich in calcium, and pumpkin seeds are loaded with calcium, iron, and zinc.
6. ROOTS - Beets, carrots, turnips and others are the complex vegetable carbs that can literally save you from your sweet tooth by staving off those nasty sugar cravings. They are also big contributors to a strong immune system and healthy digestion!